The exact cook time can vary. Read below for our tips!
Air fryer parsnip fries are a delicious twist on classic French fries.
Easy to make and ready in just over 20 minutes, these parsnip fries are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
They make a great side dish to your meal or a healthy snack that’s perfect for dipping!
Here are the ingredients you need to make these parsnip fries. They are pretty easy to make – it’s really just parsnips and whatever spices you like!
- Parsnips – One pound; that’s about 2 large or 3 medium.
- Avocado oil – Alternatively canola oil, vegetable oil, sunflower oil or light olive oil.
- Paprika – To season the parsnip fries.
- Garlic powder – To season the parsnip fries.
- Salt – To season, add more or less to taste.
- Black pepper – To season, add more to taste.
- Parsley – To garnish; optional.
Before you make these parsnip fries, read through these recipe tips so that you know what to expect and get the best fries as a result!
- Cut the parsnip fries evenly so that they are done cooking at the same time.
- Also, don’t cut the fries too thick – they will take longer to cook and may not get as crispy. They should be about 1/3 inch thick.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer as this will prevent the parsnip fries from cooking and crisping evenly.
- You can change up the spices to your personal preference. If you want a bit of a kick, you can add a bit of cayenne pepper.
We use this air fryer for our recipes and it has been great.
Step by Step Instructions
In this section, you can see exactly how to make parsnip fries in the air fryer.
If you are a visual person, the recipe process photos might help you if you have any questions about what to do at a certain step.
Of course, the recipe card with the full instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
First, trim the ends of the parsnips and peel them.
Now cut the parsnips into two even halves (top and bottom, not lengthwise through the parsnip).
Then cut these pieces into thinner slices and finally into fries about 1/3 inch thick.
Next, preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now add the cut parsnip fries to a mixing bowl with the oil, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper.
Toss until the parsnip fries are evenly coated in oil and spices.
When air fryer is hot, place the raw parsnip fries in the air fryer. Shake the basket so that they are in one even layer.
Air fry the parsnip fries at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 11-14 minutes until tender and slightly crispy.
Shake the air fryer basket every 5 minutes to help with even cooking. The exact cooking time can vary depending on your air fryer and the thickness of the parsnip fries.
When done, remove the cooked parsnip fries from the air fryer and place on a serving dish.
You can sprinkle chopped parsley on top before serving if you like. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
These parsnip fries are definitely best eaten hot and fresh out of the air fryer. If you have leftovers, you can store them in a sealed container in the fridge once they have cooled. Properly stored, they will keep for up to 3-4 days.
You can eat them cold, but you can also reheat them for best results. The microwave would work, but they would get pretty soggy and soft.
The air fryer at 280 degrees Fahrenheit is a good way to reheat them and bring back a bit of crispiness.
If you enjoyed this recipe for parsnip fries, here are some other fry recipes that you can make in the air fryer – some are classics, others might be new for you to try!
- Turnip Fries
- Butternut Squash Fries
- Homemade French Fries
- Breaded Eggplant Fries
- Breaded Avocado Fries
Air Fryer Parsnip Fries
- 1 pound parsnips, about 2 large or 3 medium-sized
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
- chopped parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Trim the ends of the parsnips and peel them. Cut the parsnips in half, then into thinner slices and finally into fries, around 1/3 inch thick.1 pound parsnips
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the cut parsnip fries to a mixing bowl with the oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Toss until evenly coated.2 teaspoons avocado oil, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- When the air fryer is hot, add the raw parsnip fries. Shake the air fryer basket so that they are in one even layer.
- Air fry the parsnip fries at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 11-14 minutes until tender and slightly crispy. Shake the air fryer basket every 5 minutes to help with even cooking. The exact cooking time can vary depending on your air fryer and the thickness of the parsnip fries.
- When done, remove the cooked parsnip fries from the air fryer and place them in a serving dish. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- Cut the fries evenly so they are done cooking at the same time. Also, don’t cut the fries too thick – they will take too long to cook and may not crisp as well. 1/3 inch works well.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer as this will keep the parsnip fries from cooking and crisping evenly.
- You can change up the spices to your personal preference.
This nutritional information has been estimated by an online nutrition calculator. It should only be seen as a rough calculation and not a replacement for professional dietary advice.