Want a lean, filling snack with a ton of crispiness? Air fryer tofu is definitely for you! It’s all the crisp without the greasy, oily taste.
Made from extra firm tofu tossed in a blend of simple spices, tofu in the air fryer is flavorful, crispy, and pretty versatile.
This is because it can be an ingredient used in another dish or enjoyed as a snack!
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
Before you head off to make air fried tofu, consider these few recipe tips and tricks to ensure recipe success!
- Be sure to use extra-firm tofu since it’s the densest tofu and will be easy to cut, marinate, and air fry.
- Marinating the tofu for the specified time (or longer) is pretty important since tofu can be very bland without time to soak in the spices or sauces!
- We use avocado oil in the air fryer since it has a high smoking point. We do not recommend using virgin olive oil in the air fryer because of its lower smoke point (it can create smoke when heated).
- Depending on how crispy you want your tofu, you can take it out a little bit early. The outside edges end up getting a little bit harder as they cool off – so overcooking the tofu might make it too tough on the outside.
We use this air fryer for our recipes and it has been great.
Step by Step Instructions
If you want to see visuals for how to make air fryer tofu, you can find the step by step process photos in this section.
First, open the tofu package and squeeze the excess water out of the tofu.
Then remove the tofu from the package and cut into approximately 3/4 inch sized cubes.
Next, place the tofu cubes into a bowl. Also add the soy sauce, oil, garlic powder – and sriracha or tabasco sauce if you want a little bit of spice.
Of course, you can change up the marinade slightly to suit your tastebuds.
Toss until the tofu is evenly coated.
Cover the bowl with a lid or dishtowel and let the tofu marinaed for 30 minutes.
Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
When it is hot, move tofu pieces from the bowl to the air fryer with a straining spoon (you don’t want extra liquid to get into the air fryer).
Cook the tofu for 13-16 minutes and shake it every 4 minutes for even cooking. The longer you cook the tofu, the crispier it will get.
However, keep in mind that the tofu will get a little bit crispier/harder after you remove it from the air fryer and it cools slightly – so don’t overdo it!
Remove the cooked tofu and use it as part of another recipe or enjoy it as a snack.
When you air fry tofu, it’s definitely best enjoyed fresh. Any leftover bites should be stored in a sealed container and placed in the fridge.
The tofu might get a bit softer and lose its crunch when being stored, but you can place it back into the air fryer the next day to reheat it.
What to Serve Air Fryer Tofu With
If you make tofu in the air fryer, you can eat it as a snack on its own as long as it’s well seasoned/marinated.
Another way we like to use our crispy tofu is by adding it to Asian-inspired dishes. This air-fried tofu worked perfectly with the soft noodles and steamed vegetables.
We like air fryer tofu as a meat alternative. Try it both ways – as a snack and as an ingredient in another dish – and see what you prefer!
Looking for more great air fryer recipes? Try out these recipes:
- 12 oz (350 grams) extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sriracha or tabasco to taste
- Open the tofu package and squeeze the excess water out of the tofu.
- Remove the tofu from the package and cut it into approximately 3/4 inch cubes.
- Add the tofu cubes to a bowl with soy sauce, oil, and garlic powder and toss until evenly coated. You can also add a little bit of sriracha or tabasco sauce if you want some spice.
- Cover the bowl with a lid or dish towel and let the tofu marinated for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When it is hot, move the tofu pieces from the bowl to the air fryer with a straining spoon (you don't want the extra liquid to get into the air fryer).
- Cook the tofu for 13-16 minutes and shake it every 4 minutes for even cooking. The longer you cook the tofu, the crispier it will get. However, keep in mind that the tofu will get a little bit crispier/harder after you remove it from the air fryer and it cools slightly - so don't overcook it!
- Be sure not to overcrowd the air fryer with tofu. If your air fryer is small (ours is a 6 quart), you may need to cook the tofu in two batches.
- Make sure to use extra firm tofu for this recipe. If you can't find any, you could try making it with firm tofu (squeeze out as much liquid as possible) but it likely wouldn't get as crispy as extra firm tofu.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 107Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 398mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
This nutritional information has been estimated by an online nutrition calculator. It should only be seen as a rough calculation and not a replacement for professional dietary advice. The exact values can vary depending on the specific ingredients used.