The exact cook time can vary. Read below for our tips!
For a simple side dish or sausage topping, air fryer peppers and onions is one of our go-to recipes!
Easy to make and so delicious, these lightly air roasted and seasoned veggies will leave you wanting more!
To make peppers and onions in the air fryer, you’ll need:
- Bell Peppers – Choose any color you like; just keep in mind that green bell peppers taste slightly bitter.
- Onions – We use yellow onions, but you can also use sweet onions or red onions if preferred.
- Oil – We use avocado oil; sunflower oil, canola oil or vegetable oil also works well.
- Garlic Powder – To add some flavor; feel free to skip if you don’t like garlic.
- Salt – For some flavor. Add more or less to taste.
- Black Pepper – For flavor.
We’ve made air fryer peppers and onions quite a few times. Here are some tips and need to knows that we learned whilst making them:
- The color of bell peppers you choose won’t affect cooking time – but may affect flavor. Green peppers are usually the least sweet of the bell pepper colors. That’s why we like red, orange, or yellow for this particular combination.
- It’s important to cut the peppers into slices of roughly the same thickness and the same goes for the onions. This helps them cook evenly – you don’t want some pieces to be overly brown while others are just getting soft.
- You can change up the spice blend if you choose. We like to keep it simple and let the flavor of the onions and peppers do the talking.
We use this air fryer for our recipes and it has been great.
Step by Step Instructions
If you want to make these air fryer bell peppers and onions, follow the recipe steps with process photos to see exactly how we made them in our kitchen.
If you’re feeling confident and don’t need the photos, you can scroll down to the recipe card.
First, wash the bell peppers and cut them into halves or quarters. Remove the inner core and seeds.
Then cut the pepper pieces into slices of roughly the same thickness.
Next, peel the onions and cut them into rings. Remember: The onion rings should be of similar thickness so that they cook evenly.
At this time also preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
Meanwhile, add the raw pepper slices and onion rings into a bowl. Also add the oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper into the bowl.
Toss everything until evenly coated.
When the air fryer is hot, add the veggies. Gently shake the air fryer basket so that everything is evenly distributed (this helps with even cooking).
Air fry the peppers and onions at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 13-16 minutes until soft.
Your exact cooking time can depend on the thickness of the peppers and onions, your air fryer, and personal preference.
When everything is done, remove the peppers and onions from the air fryer, add them to a serving bowl, and enjoy!
What to Serve Onions and Peppers With
These onions and peppers are a really nice combo that works well as a simple side dish. They have a taste that goes with things that are grilled – from meats to non-meat alternatives.
Another way we like these is as a topping on a sausage. We made Italian sausages in the air fryer and topped them with peppers and onions while on a bun. So good!
To be fair, we actually made Italian sausages WITH onions and peppers – all at the same time in our air fryer – that also worked out really well.
Here at Simply Air Fryer, we love combination recipes. Here are some more tasty combos that you can try out at home – it’s all veggie combos that work really well together!
- Air Fryer Mushrooms and Onions
- Broccoli and Cauliflower in the Air Fryer
- Air Fried Potatoes and Onions
- Carrots and Potatoes in the Air Fryer
Air Fryer Peppers and Onions
- 3 bell peppers, any color
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash the bell peppers, then cut the peppers into halves or quarters. Remove the inner core and seeds. Then cut the peppers into slices of roughly the same thickness.3 bell peppers
- Next, peel the onions and cut them into rings with even thickness.2 medium yellow onions
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, add the raw pepper slices and onion rings into a bowl. Also add the oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper into the bowl. Toss everything until evenly coated.1 tablespoon avocado oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- When preheated, add the veggies into the air fryer. Shake the air fryer basket so that everything is evenly distributed.
- Air fry the peppers and onions at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 13-16 minutes until soft. Your exact cooking time can vary by the thickness of the peppers and onions, your air fryer, and personal preference.
- When everything is done, remove the peppers and onions from the air fryer, add them to a serving bowl, and enjoy!
This nutritional information has been estimated by an online nutrition calculator. It should only be seen as a rough calculation and not a replacement for professional dietary advice.