The exact cook time can vary. Read below for our tips!
For a very simple yet effective topping or side dish, air fryer mushrooms and onions (cooked together) are the combination for you.
The soft onions pair perfectly with the golden brown, juicy mushrooms to create a flavor dance in your mouth!
To make air fryer mushrooms and onions, you’ll only need a few ingredients:
- Mushrooms – You can either use white or cremini mushrooms.
- Onion – Use a medium-sized yellow onion.
- Oil – We use avocado oil, but vegetable oil or canola oil also works well.
- Garlic Powder – This is optional but adds some more flavor.
- Salt – To add flavor; can add more or less to taste.
- Pepper – Add more or less to taste.
This is a pretty easy recipe for mushrooms and onions in the air fryer but have a read through these recipe thoughts that we had while preparing them. It may be a little different preparing them together!
- You can absolutely make these things separately in the air fryer. Air fryer mushrooms are yummy – and so are air fryer onions just on their own. However, when cut properly, these two things cook well together.
- Don’t cut the onion into very thin pieces – otherwise they might already be turning too dark while the mushrooms aren’t soft enough yet.
- Don’t submerge/soak the mushrooms in water. Otherwise they will soak up the water and won’t taste as good. Clean them with a damp (paper) towel or quickly rinse them under running water if they are very dirty.
- You can modify the spices to suit your personal preferences.
We use this air fryer for our recipes and it has been great.
Step by Step Instructions
If you want to air fry mushrooms and onions, you can follow our recipe instructions in this section and check out the recipe process photos for each step.
This way, you see how we made ours and can compare.
Otherwise, the recipe card is located in the bottom of the post and it has all the instructions and cooking times/temperatures there, too.
First, clean the mushrooms with a damp (paper) towel.
Then cut them into half (if they are on the smaller end), into quarters, or into thick slices and then into smaller pieces if you have very big mushrooms.
Also, peel the onion and cut it in half. Then cut the onion into slices of even thickness.
At this time also preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
While you wait for the air fryer to heat, add the cut mushrooms and onions into a mixing bowl.
Also add oil, garlic powder (optional), salt and pepper.
Toss everything until evenly coated in oil and spices. You can also separate the onion pieces a little bit if they are still stuck together.
When the air fryer is hot, add the seasoned onions and mushrooms to the air fryer basket.
Shake the air fryer basket gently so that everything is spread out evenly. This will help with even cooking.
Air fry the mushrooms and onions at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-13 minutes total until the onions and mushrooms are cooked and the onions are slightly browned.
Shake the air fryer basket every 4 minutes to assist with even cooking. The exact cooking time can vary by air fryer and personal preference.
When done, remove the cooked mushrooms and onions and add them to a serving bowl. Enjoy!
These onions and mushrooms store well overnight. You can store in a container with a lid in the fridge. Just keep in mind that they might get softer over time.
To reheat, you could use the microwave if you only have a few left. Alternatively, you could also use the air fryer.
Just heat the mushrooms and onions at 280 degrees Fahrenheit for 3-5 minutes until hot again.
What to Serve Mushrooms and Onions With
We like these air fryer onions and mushrooms as a tasty topping for cabbage steaks or meat steak.
They also taste great as a topping on a slice of fresh crusty bread with butter.
You might also use them as a topping on Italian sausage on a bun or for a simple pasta dish!
If you enjoyed this combination of onions and mushrooms, check out these other amazing air fryer combinations that work as dinner or as a tasty side dish!
- Air Fryer Peppers and Onions
- Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Potatoes and Onion
- Air Fryer Carrots and Potatoes
- Brats and Peppers in the Air Fryer
Air Fryer Mushrooms and Onions
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, white or cremini
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Then cut into half or quarters if they are on smaller end, or into thick slices and then into smaller pieces if you have bigger mushrooms.1/2 pound mushrooms
- Peel the onion, cut in half, then cut the onion into slices of even thickness.1 medium yellow onion
- Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the cut mushrooms and onions to a mixing bowl. Also add oil, garlic powder (optional), salt and pepper. Toss everything until evenly coated in oil and spices.2 teaspoons avocado oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- When the air fryer is hot, add the seasoned onions and mushrooms to the air fryer basket. Gently shake the basket so everything is in one even layer. This helps with even cooking.
- Air fry the mushrooms and onions at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-13 minutes total until the onions and mushrooms are cooked and the onions are slightly browned. Shake the basket every 4 minutes to assist with even cooking. The exact cooking time can vary by air fryer and personal preference.
- When done, remove the cooked mushrooms and onions and add them to a serving bowl. Enjoy!
- Don’t soak the mushrooms in water. This can change their flavor.
This nutritional information has been estimated by an online nutrition calculator. It should only be seen as a rough calculation and not a replacement for professional dietary advice.