For a super easy meal that is full of flavor, air fryer brats and peppers are definitely a good way to go.
Cooked all together, these bratwurst sausages, peppers, and onions are a meal on their own or can be enjoyed on a bun!
To make brats and peppers in the air fryer, you’ll need:
- Brats – The bratwurst should be uncooked.
- Bell Peppers – Any color; red, yellow, and orange tend to be sweeter while green give you that nice tarty, earthy taste!
- Onion – We use a yellow onion. You can also use a sweet onion if preferred or skip the onion completely if you don’t like onion.
- Avocado Oil – Helps the spices to stick to the veggies and adds flavor.
- Garlic Powder – To add flavor; feel free to skip if you don’t like garlic.
- Salt – To add flavor.
- Black Pepper – To add flavor.
These bratwurst with peppers and onions in the air fryer are pretty easy but we learned a few things along the way. Here are some tips to help you out:
- Make sure to cut the peppers and onions to relatively the same thickness. This will help them cook evenly and make sure they are done at the same time.
- We put a very simple spice mix on the veggies but you can get as simple or wild as you like. Keep in mind that the brats will already be quite flavorful so don’t overpower them!
- We usually don’t have an issue with the bratwurst sticking to the air fryer tray. However, if you do, you can use a tiny bit of oil spray on the sausages.
We use this air fryer for our recipes and it has been great.
To make these air fryer brats with peppers and onions, you can follow our recipe steps with process photos in this section.
This way you’ll see exactly how ours looked and can compare with yours.
You can also find the recipe card without visuals at the bottom of the post if you’re feeling confident and you just want to get started air frying!
First, wash the bell peppers and dry them. Next, cut them into halves or quarters and remove the seeds and core.
Now cut the bell peppers into slices of similar thickness.
Next, also peel the onion and cut it into rings. Make sure that they have the same thickness so that the rings can cook evenly.
At this time also preheat your air fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
As you wait for the air fryer to preheat, take the bell peppers and onion rings and place them in a mixing bowl.
Add the oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper spices to the bowl as well and gently mix the ingredients until evenly coated.
When the air fryer is hot, place the onions and peppers into the air fryer basket.
Give the air fryer basket a gentle shake so that the peppers and onions settle into one even layer.
Then, take the brats and place them on top of the vegetables.
Air fry the brats, peppers, and onions for 16-18 minutes total until cooked and tender.
You should shake the basket every 5 minutes to help with even cooking – and flip the brat sausages after 10 minutes of cooking.
Depending on the exact thickness of the sausage, your air fryer, and personal preference, your cooking time may vary slightly.
Keep in mind that the brats should have an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
When they are done, remove the brats, peppers and onions from the air fryer. You can enjoy them as is or on a bun.
If you have any leftover brats and peppers, you can place them in a sealed container and store them in the fridge. They’ll last for up to 3 days.
You can reheat these brats and peppers easily enough. We chose to reheat everything in the microwave in a bowl. This worked well.
You can also reheat everything in the air fryer for a few minutes at a lower temperature such as 280 degrees Fahrenheit.
Keep in mind that you just want to reheat the brats and peppers – you don’t want them to brown any farther so don’t leave them in for too long.
If you liked this quick and easy air fryer combo recipe, check out these other creations in the air fryer:
- Air Fryer Kielbasa and Peppers
- Italian Sausage and Peppers in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Ham and Potatoes
Air Fryer Brats and Peppers
- 5 brats, uncooked
- 2 bell peppers, any color
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Take the bell peppers, give them a wash, and then cut them open into halves or quarters. Remove the inner seeds/core and then cut the pepper pieces into even slices. Also peel the onion and cut it into rings that have roughly even thickness.2 bell peppers, 1 medium yellow onion
- Next, preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- As you wait for the air fryer to preheat, take the bell peppers and onion rings and place them in a mixing bowl. Add the oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and gently mix the ingredients until evenly coated.1 teaspoon avocado oil, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Once hot, place the onions and peppers into the air fryer basket. Gently shake the basket so that the peppers and onions settle into one even layer in the basket. Then, take the brats and place them on top of the vegetables.5 brats
- Next, air fry the brats, peppers, and onions for 16-18 minutes total until cooked and tender. You should shake the basket every 5 minutes to help with even cooking – and flip the brat sausages after 10 minutes of cooking. Depending on the exact thickness of the sausage, your air fryer, and personal preference, your cooking time may vary slightly. The brats should have an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once air fried, remove the brats, peppers and onions from the air fryer. These brats and peppers are great on a bun or you might just eat them as is!
This nutritional information has been estimated by an online nutrition calculator. It should only be seen as a rough calculation and not a replacement for professional dietary advice.