Want to make frozen tater tots in the air fryer? You’re not alone! It’s actually really easy to make air fryer frozen tater tots – but it can be a little confusing if you’ve never don it before.
These deliciously crispy tater tots turn out golden brown on the outside and soft and hot on the inside.
Served with your favorite dipping sauce and/or as a simple side dish for breakfast or the big game, air fryer tater tots are quick and tasty every time!
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
There’s not much to it if you want to make frozen tater tots in the air fryer. However, if you’re unsure about anything, consider these tips:
- As for oil, we do not recommend using olive oil since it has a low smoke point (it might create smoke when heated too high). Oils that have a higher smoke point are better for air fryers – like avocado oil or sesame oil.
- We use a 6 quart air fryer so if you are making frozen tater tots and have a smaller air fryer, you may have to do them in two batches. This way all the tater tots have enough space to evenly cook and brown to golden perfection.
- Adding extra oil and salt is totally optional. Depending on the brand you use, the tater tots might already contain oil and/or salt so use your own judgement here!
- For a low-carb option, you might want to try out veggie tots from frozen in the air fryer!
We use this air fryer for our recipes and it has been great.
Step by Step Instructions
Those wanting visuals for how to make frozen tater tots in the air fryer can have a look at the step by step process photos in this section.
Although, to be honest, making frozen tater tots in the air fryer is not that hard at all!
A quick FYI: There is no need to defrost the tater tots at all.
If you want to add a little extra oil and salt, toss the frozen tater tots into a bowl. Add the oil and salt – and toss until well coated.
The oil and extra salt is totally optional since most frozen tater tots already contain both oil and salt – but it does give it a little extra grisp.
Next, preheat the air fryer to 385 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the frozen tater tots in the air fryer so that they are evenly distributed around the tray. Make sure to not overcrowd your air fryer.
Cook the tater tots for 15-18 minutes, while shaking every 5 minutes.
Your air fryer might be different than ours so keep an eye on the tater tots because exact cooking times may vary slightly.
Once cooked and golden brown, place the tater tots in a serving bowl and add seasoning salt if you haven’t yet and the tater tots don’t contain salt already.
Enjoy them plain or with your favorite dipping sauce!
It’s best to eat the tater tots fresh out of the air fryer when they are crispy and hot. If you have any leftovers, you can put them in a container and keep them in the fridge.
Microwaving them to reheat them may make them less crispy so either toss them in the oven or just back in the air fryer for a few minutes to help them crisp up again!
What to Serve Air Fryer Frozen Tater Tots With
Some people even make tater tots as their breakfast potatoes – but we made easy breakfast potatoes from scratch for that!
When we snack on tater tots, ketchup is a popular dipping sauce but you can also use mayonnaise, or even a spicy dipping sauce (like the one for Spanish patatas bravas).
For more great air fryer potato recipes, try out these ones and see what you like:
- 1 pound frozen tater tots
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (optional)
- (seasoning) salt to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 385 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For a little extra crisp, add the frozen tater tots to bowl, add one teaspoon of oil and toss. You can also add salt if the tater tots don't contain salt already. Oil is optional - but if you don't add oil now, don't add salt either (you don't want salt to fly around in the air fryer).
- Place the frozen tater tots in the air fryer so that they are evenly distributed around the tray. Make sure to not overcrowd your air fryer.
- Cook the tater tots for 15-18 minutes, while shaking every 5 minutes. Your air fryer might be different than ours so keep an eye on the tater tots because exact cooking times may vary slightly.
- Once done, place the tater tots in a serving bowl and add seasoning salt if you haven't yet and the tater tots don't contain salt already. Enjoy them plain or with your favorite dipping sauce!
- We do not recommend using virgin olive oil in the air fryer because it has a lower smoke point. We use avocado oil but sesame oil and canola oil also work well.
- We have a 6 quart air fryer so if yours is smaller, you may have to make this amount of frozen tater tots in two batches to avoid overcrowding the tots in the air fryer tray.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
This nutritional information has been estimated by an online nutrition calculator. It should only be seen as a rough calculation and not a replacement for professional dietary advice. The exact values can vary depending on the specific ingredients used.